Saturday, August 7, 2010

OMG...Not the MAPLE TREE!!!

The other day we had NASTY summer storm(s) come through...however, we had no damage to house or person,but, to my lovely maple tree out back. I never in my life thought the maple was a weak tree, in danger of falling down. It was such a great shade tree for the outdoor patio. However, according to the arborist, it seems that trees planted by nurseries never really get to root correctly and this tree's root turned back in on itself...UGH! So, goodbye my lovely maple...however, hello to a nice side table!


I know...you are saying ...are you NUTS?.I know most of you out there cannot take the trunk of a maple tree and transform it into a peice of furniture; however, I want you to start thinking of .....THE WHAT IFS?


 view from the root forward....
what a mess we had on our hands!














the first is a photo of  blocks of wood made into side tables...well, they are OKAY...but not good enough. The scketch is mine, it is the idea for the single wood chunk of the maples trunk placed on a metal base. As for the base, I may try to find the base at a salvage yard or have some existing item modified to fit the block of wood? Will see what I find.

I do promise to show future photos of the finished product...

Ciao...Rj

No comments:

Post a Comment