Sunday, August 8, 2010

What to do with that SAD...SAD JEWELRY of yours?

I was going through my jewelry box a couple weeks ago. Wow, do I have pieces from long ago that I used to wear, never wear, and will never wear again.

Okay, I could take them to a thrift shop I sell to...but stuff like this rarely moves. Or, I could (and shall) give a few pieces to Goodwill.

But for some I decided: Why not make something new out of something old? Then the possibilities become keep them, give them, sell them?


The photo is of jewelry I began taking apart. I bought the red, white, and black necklace in Italy five years ago. The square with the ebony dot is an earring -- its mate cracked in my travel bag. And on the bottom right: necklace chain links.

Think about these bits like puzzle pieces waiting to be put together. What was an earring is now a pendant. What were necklace links are now matching earrings and enhancement peices in the necklace.  I'm thinking I might have just created my sister's birthday present.

And, I most likely can design a bracelet, perhaps a choker, and more earrings with the remaining Italian beads!

So, what do YOU need to do? Go through what you have: beads, chains, odd earrings, rings, and baubles. Then, consider what additional hardware you will need: clasps, extenders, etc. Keep it classy: they should be silver, gold, and copper. Then go to your nearest craft store. I prefer Michaels Art and Craft Store....look for sales and jewelry classes!

Here are few I have already created

The beads (with the exception of the copper and silver) came from two existing necklaces. Two plain bead lengths became a three-strand standout with matching earrings. 

I always loved my Frank Lloyd Wright bookmark. I took a gold ribbon from a special Mother's Day gift, attached a clasp....VOILA!...a cute necklace I get asked about all the time!

THIS SAD GROUP OF JEWELRY IS MY NEXT QUEST...

Other ideas for old jewelry? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Next week will discuss what to do with those chipped finds....

Ciao...Rj

No comments:

Post a Comment